What HKDC Does
HKDC works to preserve Hong Kong’s basic freedoms, the rule of law, and autonomy as promised under the “one country two systems” model and enshrined in the Basic Law and the Sino-British Joint Declaration by:
- Informing US policymakers, media and the public on threats and erosions to Hong Kong’s democracy and basic freedoms,
- Amplifying influential US voices and support for Hong Kong’s autonomy,
- Providing an independent US platform for Hong Kong’s pro-democracy and civil society voices,
- Increasing public support for Hong Kong’s distinct political identity and system in the US and around the globe.
We are led predominantly by people from Hong Kong living in the US. We understand how to translate the immense and complex challenges facing Hong Kong and effecting US-Hong Kong relations, and how to frame policy and political solutions across the language and cultural divide.
- We work closely with pro-democracy leaders and activists spanning the generations and political spectrum that comprise Hong Kong’s pro-democracy movement.
- We have assembled the leading experts in the US who best understand Hong Kong’s democracy and human rights and are best positioned to be the authoritative sources of analysis.
- We combine subject matter expertise with “on-the-ground” experience. We are activists who march on the streets – some of us have been jailed for acting on our beliefs. We have successfully garnered support across the US on issues related to Hong Kong.